Saturday, November 8, 2008

My encounter with Cops in Dublin.

Something funny happened to me in Dublin. On a Sunday, looking at the beautiful weather, I decided to borrow my colleague's Bicycle and look around Dublin. The day was really good. I managed to pedal about 35 Kms and reached a village called "Ratoath" and treated myself a lovely meal of Stuffed chicken, with some fries and Yes, 3 Pints of Guinness Beer, Rode a country Horse, went to a church and attend a naming ceremony and took a good look at my dream bike "The Harley Davidson". On my way back to Dublin, I thought that I will reach Dublin sooner if I take the Motor Way (Super Highway in India). After pedaling for about 15 Kms on the Motor Way, looking at the cars passing by me at the speed of 120 KMPH, I was enjoying the ride. I sense a car behind me moving at the same pace of mine. When I look back, to my shock, it was a GARDA Car (Police Car). I immediately get off my Bicycle and say "Good Evening" .
  • Police man : What do you think you are doing?
  • Me : I am going to Dublin.
  • Police man : Ha.. Ha.. Ha.. Ha..
  • Me : Did I say anything worn?
  • Police man : This is a Motor Way, Bicycles are not allowed on a Motor way.
  • Me : Oh ! How do I get to Dublin.
  • Police man : First of all, get your bicycle on to the Grass.
  • Me : OK.
  • Police man : Now Push the bicycle on the grass till you reach the roundabout you passed by and take a right.
  • Me : Ok that roundabout which is about 2 Kms behind.
  • Police man : No, it is 3 Kms from here.
  • Me : Oh God.
  • Police man : Take a right there and go further down and take a right from the next round about. But remember to keep the Bicycle on the Grass until you get Off the Motor Way.
  • Me : Thank You.
I continued pushing the bicycle on the grass till I reached the roundabout and then started pedaling the bicycle. Then got lost as it was dark and no proper directions to Dublin. Some how reached my apartment at 10 in the night. I wondered, How would an Indian Policeman reacted to the situation. I am sure I would have at least been looted of a 100 Euros. Any way, I have learnt that I should not cycle on a Motor way. Though it is Ok to do so here in our Highways.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You had some adventure!!

Ferox Magister said...

@raji: Yes, I did :-)... With Adventure and a lot of fun.